Sunday, August 6, 2017

Day Trip to the Grammy Museum Mississippi

It turns out that Cleveland, MS and Los Angeles have at least one thing in common - a Grammy Museum. Given the musical roots of the Mississippi Delta, this fact is less surprising than it seems at first.


Over the past year, I've been trying to make a point to enjoy the places that are in Mississippi. I want to live here, but sometimes I worry that I'm missing out on the experiences I was able to have when I lived other places. This might be true. But, I think part of the problem is that I don't make a point of taking advantage of the opportunities here.

So, when I heard about the Grammy Museum that opened last year in Cleveland, MS, I decided that I needed to take my first visit to the Delta. And, of course, I convinced a friend to come along with me because friends make everything better.


It was a good decision.

For anyone who is a big music fan, this museum is probably exactly what you want. If you're just a casual music fan, then the museum is still interesting.

One of the sometimes nice parts of being a teacher is that we're out during the summer when most other adults are working. In this case, that meant that we had the museum almost entirely to ourselves on a Monday afternoon. There were maybe 10 other people in the museum during the 3 hours we spent there.

In completely unexpected and surprising news, my favorite part was the Taylor Swift Experience.

Obviously.



Basically, T-Swift personally (or, you know, a recording of her, whatever) walked us through her life and her music career. We got to see costumes she wore in her music videos and on her most recent tour. I still cannot believe that I was only two feet (and a protective display case) away from hand-written "Teardrops on my Guitar" lyrics.

Not to mix pop culture references, but this is what dreams are made of.

I did not want to leave the exhibit room. Ever.



Unfortunately, the Taylor Swift Experience is only at the museum until August 13. 2017. But if you're slightly, or more than slightly, obsessed with Taylor Swift, then you should try to make it to Cleveland, MS as soon as possible.

Overall, I would recommend going to see the Grammy Museum especially if you live near it. Cleveland seems to have some interesting things going for it. Which I was unaware of until this trip.

The summer might be almost over, but I'm glad I had a chance to do some exploring in my state. It's something I'll definitely continue doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment